Product Owner Masterclass
Take Your Product Ownership Practice to the Next Level
Learn from a leading product owner expert what it really takes to effectively apply the product owner role and to successfully manage your products with Scrum. Roman has taught and coached product owners for more than 15 years, he has extensively written about product ownership, and he knows exactly what it takes to be a great product owner.
This advanced product owner training is ideally suited for Scrum product owners who want to improve their product ownership practice and take it to the next level. This includes getting better at maximising the value a product creates, successfully scaling the Scrum product owner role, aligning the stakeholders and guiding development teams, and learning to manage and coach and coach Scrum product owners.
Roman teaches this master class as an instructor-led workshop with a mix of lectures, discussions, hands-on exercises, and plenty of Q&A so that you can get your questions answered by him. You can find out more about Roman’s online training by visiting the Training FAQs
March 21, 2023 13:00 - 18:00
March 22, 2023 13:00 - 18:00
March 23, 2023 13:00 - 17:30
Time zone: GMT / UTC (GMT+0)
Understand Scrum's Role in Product Innovation
Scrum can be a great ally to help you create new products and new features. But it is no silver bullet. This module explains how Scrum supports product innovation and how it relates to product discovery and product strategy. You will learn to:
- Use Scrum to successfully innovate and understand the framework’s strengths and limitations in fostering innovation.
- Get the relationship between Scrum and product discovery right. Be clear on the prerequisites required to effectively apply Scrum including product vision, product strategy, product roadmap, and business model.
- Apply Scrum at the right stages of the product life cycle to maximise value creation.
Correctly Apply the Scrum Product Owner Role
In theory, applying the Scrum product owner role is easy. But in practice, it is not. At the same token, correctly understanding and implementing the role is a key factor in successfully innovating with Scrum. In this module, you will learn how to:
- Correctly the apply product owner role for your product. This includes understanding the role’s authority and empowerment, its responsibilities and duties, as well as desirable capabilities.
- Effectively influence and collaborate with the stakeholders; form product teams that are stable, autonomous, and empowered.
- Address Scrum Master challenges including a Scrum Master role that is vacant and a Scrum Master who is not able to do an effective job.
- Successfully guide and work with the development team; empower the team and hold people accountable for meeting shared goals.
Succeed with Scaling the Product Owner Role
Applying the product owner role on large products and scaled environments can be challenging. This module helps you address this challenge. It shows you how you can effectively share product ownership and collaboratively manage a large product. You will learn:
- How to choose the right point in time to scale.
- How to minimise and remove dependencies to facilitate scaling.
- How to best share product ownership and collaborate with a group of product people.
- How to choose the right team topology and effectively set up the development.
Make Effective Product Decisions Using the Product Backlog
The product backlog is the primary product management tool offered by Scrum. Despite its importance, it is commonly not effectively applied. This course module addresses this challenges, and it helps you take full advantage of the backlog. You will learn how to:
- Effectively use product goals to direct, focus, and stock the product backlog even in a scaled environment.
- Get the relationship between the product backlog and the product roadmap right; choose the right roadmapping approach and format to support an agile way of working.
- Choose the product backlog size and level of detail that is right for your product and select the right prioritisation techniques.
- Avoid common product backlog mistakes that prevent you from using the tool to make effective product decisions.
Successfully Guide Development Teams
An agile, cross-functional development team is a key partner for you as the person in charge of the product, and you rely on its members to help you progress the product. At the same time, you are not their boss, and you can’t tell them what to do. This module teaches you how you can effectively lead development teams in Scrum, even when there is disagreement and conflict. You will learn how to:
- Leverage the sprint planning meeting: Use shared and actionable sprint goals that direct the work of the development team.
- Effectively apply the sprint review meeting: Understand progress, gather feedback from stakeholders, and align the individuals.
- Successfully deal with an underperforming development team.
- Involve the development team in discovery and backlog refinement work in order to empower the team to make the right design and technology decisions and build a great product.
Validate Product Decisions to Offer a Great Product
Scrum’s iterative nature provides you with a great benefit: You can regularly collect user feedback and interaction data to test ideas and validate product decisions. When done correctly, this maximises the chances that your product will do a great job for its users and customers. This module explains how you can effectively test your ideas and make the right product decisions using the Scrum framework. You will learn how to:
- Understand how to best engage with users and customers in Scrum.
- Move beyond product demos; choose the right methods to validate product increments and gather user feedback and data.
- Effectively analyse the data and make the right product decisions.
- Select the right approach to update your product backlog.
- Keep the product backlog and the product roadmap in synch.
Proactively Manage the Development Effort
The most well-refined product backlog is worthless if you can’t clearly track and forecast the progress of the development effort. While this is no rocket science, I find that product owners often don’t use the right techniques and that they use them incorrectly. In this module you will learn how to:
- Improve your ability to track and forecast the development progress.
- Maximise the chances of meeting the agreed product goal on time and on budget.
- Update and align the stakeholders.
- Keep the release plan and the product roadmap in synch.
Advance Your Product Owner Career
Working as a product owner can be rewarding and challenging. In this module you will learn how you can take on more responsibility and how you can foster your career in product management. You will understand:
- Which career paths and options are available to you.
- The skills you need to take the next career step.
- How developing a growth mindset helps you progress your career.
- How you can apply sustainable pace and avoid becoming overworked.
Learn from the best is my main decision criterion when I choose a trainer. Roman Pichler’s product owner course is as amazingly inspiring as his books are. Thank you, Roman, for the experience.
− Anna Starikova, Organizational Consultant at agiledrive
Thank you so much for your time and teaching. I have certainly learnt a lot in the course and I am excited to put it in practice!
− Jannat Ara, Vice President Product Management, Group Compliance at HSBC
Roman’s product owner training is probably one of the most valuable courses that I’ve ever attended. The unique and dynamic structure of the course really aided my own learning and allowed me to apply my previous knowledge in a practical way right from the beginning. I cannot commend Roman highly enough and his courses are a “must-attend” for anyone wanting to improve their product owner knowledge and skills.
− Seth Rubin, Head of Product at Webgains
Roman’s product owner course was extremely well run and provided a great deal of value to me even though I had already been working as a product owner for a couple of years. The level of expertise Roman has was invaluable in both improving my Scrum skills and inspiring myself and the other people taking the course. I highly recommend it.
− Dan Searle, Senior Project Manager at Nationwide Building Society
Reading the articles below will help you prepare for the course. Some of the articles are also available on Roman’s podcast.
If you are not familiar with the latest Scrum version, then brush up your knowledge by reading the Scrum Guide.
Please visit the Training FAQs for more information on payment by invoice, discounts, class format and size, refund policy, and other training-related topics.
Is this Course Right for You?
You will benefit from taking the training course if you:
- Have worked as a Scrum product owner and you want to take your practice to the next level.
- Want to prepare for taking on the role and already have experience working in product management.
- Work as a head of product and you want to improve your ability to support and guide the Scrum product owners on your team.
- Lead a digital transformation and you want to better understand how the product owner role should be applied.
- Coach product owners and want to improve your ability to guide the individuals.
If you are still unsure or have more questions, the please take a look at the Training FAQs or contact Roman.