- This event has passed.
Product Strategy and Product Roadmap Training
December 8, 2020, 13:00 - December 10, 2020, 17:30
This training course teaches you how to create a winning product strategy and an agile product roadmap for digital products. Strategy and roadmap are important tools: The product strategy states how you intend to achieve product success; the product roadmap describes how the product is likely to grow.
The workshop is ideal for product managers, product owners, product executives, and entrepreneurs who would like to understand how a product strategy and a product roadmap are effectively used in an agile, dynamic business context.
This course is aimed at product managers, product owners, product executives, and others in charge of digital products or product teams. It assumes that you already have an understanding of key product management concepts and techniques.
Format and Class Size
The training course is taught as an instructor-led workshop with an appropriate mix of lecture, discussion and hands-on exercises. Please dress casually. We aim to limit the class size to 25 attendees.
Prerequisites and Prep Work
Please read the chapters or articles below. This will set you up for a good learning experience:
- The chapters “Product Strategy Foundations” and “Product Roadmap Foundations” in Roman’s book Strategize or
- The articles “8 Tips for Creating a Compelling Product Vision”, “Elements of an Effective Product Strategy“, “10 Tips for Creating an Agile Product Roadmap”, and “Product Discovery Tips”. (The first two articles are also available as podcast episodes.)
Additional Prerequisites and Prep Work for Online Classes
To participate in an online class, you will need a computer with a webcam and a microphone, preferably a device with a large enough screen, like a laptop or tablet, as well as a stable Internet connection. Please familiarise yourself with the two main tools we will be using, Zoom, Trello, and Google Docs prior to the training course. You will have to be able to join a Zoom meeting, use the chat feature, and mute and unmute yourself; you will have to be able to add cards to a Trello board, adjust them, and move them between columns; and you will have to be able to save a new version of a shared Google doc, edit it, and share it with the instructor.
We offer a 50% discount on the regular price to charities and early stage start-ups. Please contact email@example.com to request a discount.
Product Strategy Foundations
- The elements of an effective product strategy and the Product Vision Board
- Value proposition, market segmentation, and product differentiation
- Business and product strategy
- Product strategy ownership
Product Discovery and Strategy Validation
- Product discovery and development
- Strategy validation and market research techniques
- Pivot, persevere, and minimum viable products (MVPs)
Product Life Cycle and Product Strategy
- Lifecycle objectives and strategic options
- Key performance indicators (KPIs) and product scorecard
- Collaborative strategy reviews and updates
Agile Product Roadmaps
- Benefits and common mistakes of product roadmaps
- The product roadmap, the product backlog, and the release plan
- Goal-oriented product roadmaps and the GO roadmap template
- Selecting the right contents and choosing the right level of detail
Roadmap Planning and Roadmap Reviews
- Balancing goals, dates, and cost
- Product roadmap reviews and updates
- Collaborative roadmapping workshops
Product Portfolio Management
- Product portfolio strategy
- Software platforms
- Portfolio roadmaps
- Balanced product portfolios